Friday, January 23, 2009

Sick kids!!

This has been quite the year so far! We have been dealing with some sickies here and it is no fun! Gagie and Maycie have had a cough off and on sense before Thanksgiving, and for me I don't take my kids into the Dr. unless they really need to go. I guess this time I waited too long, oops! Two weeks ago on a Tue, Gagie was having a hard time getting a good breath, I decided he needed to go in, I took him into the closest office and after dealing with the most awful nurse in the world, the Dr. finally got into the room, took one look at Gagie and said "He needs a breathing treatment NOW!" I hope that no one has to go through that, having to hold your screaming baby down and hold a mask over his face, not to mention the machine sounds like a monster, is not a fun experience. Two hours later, 2 antibiotics, and a take home inhaler, and we finally got to go home! He has Bronchitis! Two days later at 11:00pm. he wakes up really having a hard time breathing, I give him his inhaler, doesn't help, I try everything, and I cant get him breathing right, and his fever is 104 nothing working so I call "ask a nurse" After following all of her instructions we decide he needs to go in, so at 6am I head over to the urgent care by our house. It took us two of the breathing treatments to get his oxygen levels up to a safe 95%! The Dr. then lets me know that it is probably pneumonia, but the only way to be sure is a chest xray and she doesn't want to put him through that so she sends us home with more antibiotics and a nebulizer (Breathing treatment machine) And says he has to have it 2-4 times a day! Great I get to tourcher my child 2-4 times a day! I am really excited! (I am sure you can sense the sarcasm) After the first couple of days he starts to get a ton better! Monday we wake up and I give the kids a bath, when maycie gets out I notice that she has a rash on her cheeks and her arms and legs. I start to look at it and realize .."oh no" I have only seen pics of what I thought it was, so I confirmed over the Internet. It is fifths disease. (same family as like rosiola) The more common name is the "Slapped Cheek" We call the Dr. and she says it just has to run it's course. So just when Gagie is getting better Maycie gets this. Luckily it doesn't' affect her as much as it could have, she never got a fever just uncomfortable. It is so hard when she can tell me that her arms itch and there is nothing I can do for her! As of now we are all healthy. Maycie no longer looks like I slapped her cheeks, and Gagie is running around as fast as ever! I hope it stays this way! I done with the sickies for a long while!!

This is the mask that we have to use.

The machine isn't on which is why he isn't screaming!

But now you know what it looks like.

3 comments:

Nicole Leavitt said...

oh honey i know exactly whatyou are going through! we had to do that for chayse when he kept getting croup! poor kids!

Kaylynn said...

Gotta love those breathing machines and trips to the doctor with sick kids! Sorry. Give them big hugs from us.

Cole said...

I'm SO SORRY sick kids are NO fun!!! I have so been down that road with the nebulizer. All of my kids have the joy of using the nebulizer. Spencer just got over Bronchitis and we were using the nebulizer 4 times a day (yuck). Something’s I've tried with my "medical" children and the nebulizer is you can give them a treatment when they are asleep sometimes that's easier than holding them down. Also if your kids have croup instead of taking them outside so the cold air can help open the airway so they can breathe you can put cold water in the nebulizer and it does the same thing.
I'm glad they are feeling better!!